Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Frisée Femme: Jamicka



Hey everyone! Today we are featuring our very first Frisée Femme (Woman Curly)!!
We know this fabulously natural young lady from our church! Enjoy her hair story!

****


Please introduce yourself

Hello my name is Jamicka, I’m 19 years old. I attend an HBCU and majoring in music.

Describe your hair.

Let’s talk hair! I have been natural all my life. I never received a perm, relaxer etc.. Only chemical I have put into my hair was color (bleach) once I did that my hair had changed in texture a little. Mainly because I was not taking care of it like I should, such as a starting a hair regime, making sure it’s not dry. Bleaching my hair is something I regret due to my lack of nurture.
      My hair is naturally curly and YES I am black! Ok, ok I have some Native American in me but that’s wayyyy down the line, people. Each and every one of us has different races within us that don’t know about …. What I’m trying to say is PLEASE stop the stereotypes, black woman can have “good hair” too. Any way’s, my hair is naturally curly, thin and about over the shoulder length. 


What encouraged you to stay natural?

What encouraged me to stay natural was my mother. She never really wanted me to put any types of chemicals in my hair (not even the color). But I decided to anyway. I never really inspired people much by my hair because girls always come up to me and say “I wish I had hair like you…… Only if I was mixed”. Do you know how much that makes me angry?!? A LOT lol.. Just because my hair is naturally curly does that make me of a different race??? Also, why fantasize on my hair when you can have “good hair” on you too? Such as taking care of it making sure that it’s happy and healthy. To me…. That’s the definition of Good Hair.

What hairstyle are you known for? Your go-to style!

The hairstyles that I’m known for is a simple wash and go with a little of stay in conditioner, to maintain moisture and to stop frizziness or straight hair by pressing it out with a flatiron. Now I am starting to try something different. I have been rocking big box braids (using horse hair) for about a week now and I love it! It’s different and easy to maintain. 



What do you love the most about your natural hair?

What I love about my hair is that it’s not just about the curls, textures, patterns blah blah blah….. but it makes a statement. A statement that all women are different whether its hair, shape, sizes, skin color etc…. 
Let’s not judge and make assumptions now people! 

Anything else you want to share? Advise for current and future naturals?

Last but not least, whether you going natural or not, stop worrying about making your hair like a certain person because more than likely it’s not going to happen! Focus on taking care of your hair the right way by making sure that it’s healthy. Whatever suits for your hair is for YOU! Not anyone else… This is what makes each and every one of us unique.


Thanks Jamicka, for sharing your hair story!

No comments:

Post a Comment